Let's take a look at the Top Ten junior players of all time. For the purposes of this list we will at players in the WHL, OHL and QMJHL only.
10. Pat Lafontaine, Verdun, QMJHL Rookie-record 104 goals, 234 points in 1982-83; major junior player of the year.
9. Denis Potvin, Ottawa, OHL 254 games, 95 goals, 234 assists, 329 points. Broke Bobby Orr's junior records.
8. John Tavares, Oshawa, OHL 215 goals, 433 points in 247 games; most goals in OHL history; eligibility rules changed to admit him at 15; 2006 major junior rookie of the year, 2007 major junior player of the year; two world juniors, named 2009 all-star, top forward and MVP.
7. Sidney Crosby, Rimouski, QMJHL 120 goals, 303 points in 121 games; two-time major junior player of the year; silver and gold with Canada at two world juniors.
6. Eric Lindros, Oshawa, OHL 97 goals, 216 points in 95 games; one Memorial Cup victory; three world junior tournaments; major junior player of the year in 1991.
5. Mike Bossy, Laval, QMJHL 309 goals, 532 points in 263 games; most goals in major junior history.
4. Bobby Clarke, Flin Flon, WCHL 122 goals, 305 points in 117 games; two scoring titles and the trophy was later renamed in his honor.
3. Bobby Orr, Oshawa, OHA Started career at 15; 70 goals, 259 points in 159 games as a defenseman.
2. Guy Lafleur, Quebec, QMJHL 233 goals, 379 points in 118 games; 130 goals, 209 points and a Memorial Cup in 1970-71.
1. Mario Lemieux, Laval, QMJHL 247 goals, 562 points in 200 games; 61-game point streak, 133 goals and 282 points in 1983-84 all set major junior records earning him major junior player of the year honors.
Honourable mention: Brian Propp (511 points in 3 seasons in Brandon).
By the way, the all time leading scorers in each of the three major junior leagues are basically unknowns to NHL-only fans. Check out these stats:
WHL: Brian Sakic (591), Glen Goodall (573), Craig Endean (529)
OHL: Stan Drulia (479), Dale McCourt (479), Wayne Groulx (477)
QMJHL: Patrice Lefebvre (595), Stephan Lebeau (580), Patrick Emond (575)
These statistical leaders and other junior sensations were considered, but ultimately the Top Ten junior players of all time had to have been successful graduates to make the grade.
cool list as a pretty much nhl only fan i like learning something new
How about a top ten list of players who never made it to the NHL?
Maybe Guy Rouleau, Luc Robittaile's old line mate....
It is a nice article. Denis Potvin is a all time top favorite player. The people never forget him because he has dedicated his whole life in hockey. I like him so much.
How bout Tyler Johnson one cup away from being only american to hoist all the greatest cups plus junior gold. Thanks Babcock for great find, small players need a huge heart, could be best usa player ever by end of his career. 999,999 out of a 1,000,000 would say no chance he would make it to the league. Goal leader to skate (Boot) too. Go Chiefs Go Spokane Native Represent. Hot clouds cold ice go Lightning do it for country, fans and T.J.
Players that didn't impact NHL 'Trois Denis' Denis Savards linemates in Q. Tremblay & Roy
Of course, the all time scorers didn't make an impact in the NHL. They were top all time scorers because they played at 18, 19, and 20 when Lemieux, Crosby and Lefleur were winning Rookie of the Year honours in the NHL
No Brad Richards he played 190 games in the Q and scored 432 points and won every trophy going.
Post a Comment