Kate Middleton may have started the craze, but Pavel Datsyuk is the original fascinator. Datsyuk has been nothing short of incredible the past couple of games for Detroit. Imagine how good he would be if his wrist was not bothering him.
Here's a few more thoughts on the game last night:
- That was one heck of a hockey game. Detroit was the better team, deserving of the win. You can't help but feel bad for Antti Niemi, who was nothing short of amazing against the Red Wings' onslaught.
- It's between Datsyuk and Ryan Kesler in the best player of the 2011 playoffs debate. The difference? Ryan Kesler has been a superstar for a few weeks. Pavel Datsyuk has been a superstar for a few years.
- Val Filppula, who skates a whole lot like Datsyuk, had a great game. He scored the winning goal, but also nicely drove the defense deep and set up the first goal.
- Saw this on Twitter: In 13 career playoff game 6's, Patrick Marleau has just 1 assist.
- San Jose, who have long been dogged by playoff failures, will never live down a game 7 loss. Blowing a 3-0 series lead is almost unforgiveable.
- History, of course, still suggests San Jose will win the series. But would you bet against the Mike Babcock, Pavel Datsyuk and the Detroit Red Wings? No way.