- Now that he has officially played in a game for the Montreal Canadiens, Alex Auld tied the NHL record for the most teams played for by a goaltender. Les Canadiens are Auld's 8th team. Let's see if I can get the rest right - Vancouver, Florida, Phoenix, Boston, Ottawa, Dallas and the New York Rangers.
- What is really amazing is Auld has played for those 8 teams in a span of just 6 seasons.
- By the way, Ron Tugnutt and Sean Burke also share this interesting record.
- Did you see Dustin Byfuglien's Paul Coffey impersonation with his end-to-end rush to sink the Buffalo Sabres on Friday? What's interesting is that of Big Buff's 4 goals so far this season, 3 are game winners. That ties an Atlanta team record for game winning goals by a defenseman in the month of October. Andy Sutton set the mark in 2005-06. Really? Andy Sutton?!
- Byfuglien has one more game this month to try and set a new record.
- Did you know Tim Thomas is the first goalie in NHL history to win his first five games of a season while allowing no more than 1 goal in each game?
- Joe Thornton's hat trick against Martin Brodeur on Wednesday was the first hatty against Brodeur since 2004. Brodeur has only allowed 12 hat tricks in his amazing career.
- Michal Handzus is 8 for 14 (.571) in career shootout attempts, which is the second highest success rate for any player with as many career tries as Handzus. Slava Kozlov was 27 for 46 (.587) in his career on shootout attempts.
October 30, 2010
Pucks On The 'Net
Here is today's tally of interesting stats and facts from the world of hockey: