Sami Salo has suffered his 39th official injury of his career, but this is one he will never forget. In blocking a shot Salo suffered a lower body injury - namely a ruptured testicle.
Nick Fotiu suffered the same injury. He described the pain as "There is no way to describe it. Pain? Forget about it. You could … not … believe … the pain. @#*&, it was bad. Bad, bad pain." (Stick Tap to Kukla)
Salo and Fotiu are amongst those hockey players that took the coach's demands to bust their balls a little to literally. They'd also agree that is the worst possible injury in hockey.
Or is it? Here's a few more real bad injuries I can think of:
- Bill Masterton and Don Sanderson dying after hitting their head on the ice.
- Clint Malarchuk and Richard Zednik having their necks sliced, nearly perishing on live TV.
- Borje Salming having his face stepped on by a skate, requiring 250 stitches to repair him.
- Trent McCleary taking a puck to the throat.
- The career ending attacks on Ace Bailey and Steve Moore.
- Mark Howe impaling himself on the old, immovable goalie nets.
- Gordie Howe fracturing his skull while trying to bodycheck Teeder Kennedy.
- Howie Morenz breaking his leg and dying weeks later.
- Pat Peake shattering his heel on a needless icing call.
- Wayne Cashman needing 50 stitches in his tongue.