- Check this out: Every Canadian athlete will be eligible for bonus money if they step on the podium in Vancouver: $20,000 for gold, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze. Canada's NHL players, with a combined $120 million in salaries for this season, are eligible too. Watch for the Canadian players to donate any podium money back to Hockey Canada for minor hockey programs in the country.
- I like this line - Sidney Crosby's $9 million salary is more than three times what the Own The Podium program spent on biathlon over the last five years.
- Beautiful breakaway goal by Henrik Sedin last night against the Sabres. Maybe that move will convince coach Alain Vigneault to use the NHL's leading scorer in the shootout? Henrik never gets a chance in the shootout.
- The Canucks have had their issues with the referees lately, but Kerry Fraser's disallowed Buffalo goal late in the 2nd period was one of the worst blown calls I've seen in a long, long time.
- Mike Danton's enrolling at the University of Saint Mary's made me wonder how many times in the past a player played college hockey after playing in the National Hockey League. Jean Patrice Martel of the Society For International Hockey Research tells me it has happened 26 times before. Players "of note" include Bones Raleigh, Jared Aulin, Brian Conacher and Mike Moffat.
- Mike Chen and the Mechanics have done a great job revamping From The Rink blog. Very promising opening day.
- Also, Robert Lefebvre at Eyes On The Prize has a nice tribute to long time Montreal hockey writer Bertrand Raymond.
January 26, 2010
Tuesday Slap Shots
Time to put the puck on the 'Net: