- Alexander Ovechkin became just the fourth player in NHL history to score 250 career goals in his first 5 seasons. Can you name the other three? Answers below.
- Puck Daddy's Dmitry Chesnokov scored an interview with Team Canada GM Steve Yzerman, with Yzerman proclaiming the Russians are the favorites to win. Tireless blogger Greg Wyshynski is mistakenly known as Puck Daddy, but Yahoo! has assembled an excellent collection of writers including Sean Leahy and his wit and Chesnokov and his contacts.
- Speaking of great blogs, I always read the New York Times and their excellent hockey blog Slap Shots. I was disappointed to learn that NYT will be charging to read their online content starting in 2011. Unfortunately I think this will become commonplace amongst the old guard in the new media.
- Is it just me, or is the hockey blogosphere stagnating a bit? I'm talking in terms of general hockey blogs, as many teams still have excellent new media coverage. But general hockey blogs are waning a bit with the loss of Illegal Curve and the beat reporter promotion of James Mirtle. And I've long missed Jes Golbez!
- More and more I find myself turning to Twitter. HNIC's Jeff Marek has an excellent list full of gems.
- Here's an interesting piece of news: Phil Housley's wife Karen has announced she is seeking the Republican endorsement in her bid to serve in the Minnesota state senate.
- The other three players to score 250 goals in their first 5 seasons: Wayne Gretzky, Mike Bossy and Mario Lemieux. Now that is select company!
January 22, 2010
Friday Slap Shots
Time to put the puck on the 'Net: