I then spit my Rice Krispies all over my computer monitor!
Let me introduce all you youngin's to a fellow named Bobby Hull:
- 913 major league goals. Only Gordie (975) and Wayne Gretzky (940) have more.
- 610 NHL goals, leading the league in goals scored 7 times.
- He had five 50 goal seasons in the NHL, nine including WHA.
- Three times he set new records for most goals in one season.
- 17 straight years he was a 1st or 2nd All Star in the NHL/WHA.
- 3 Art Ross trophies, 2 Hart trophies, plus 2 WHA MVP trophies.
- One of the most important figures in the history of the sport.
Ovechkin has yet to pass the longevity test. He's only in his fifth season, 3 of which I would classify as dominating, 2 of which I would say he was the best player in the game.
Hey, I'm as a big of an Ovechkin fan as anyone else, and assuming he stays healthy and productive for a good length of time, I think he very well could one day be crowned the best left winger ever, as well as the best Russian player ever.
But let's not jump the gun yet.