Today is September the 9th, 2009.
9. 9. 09.
In honour of this day, I thought I'd pare down the ol' Top Ten list and offer the Top Nine players to ever wear sweater #9!
1. Gordie Howe - Mr. Hockey gets the edge on this list if only because he wore #9 longer than anyone else.
2. Maurice Richard - Forever #9, forever the Rocket.
3. Bobby Hull - Can you imagine Hull being third best on any list? Back in the days of Gordie, Rocket and the Golden Jet, #9 was everyone's favorite number.
4. Teeder Kennedy - One of the greatest playoff performers in hockey history
5. Johnny Bucyk - Hockey history has not really remembered "The Chief" as well as other players on the list. He was as good as any of them.
6. Andy Bathgate - See: Bucyk, John. Great player all but forgotten today.
7. Mike Modano - The only active player on the list. It's a shame #9 no longer as special as it used to be.
8. Charlie Conacher - The Big Bomber. He could score goals with the best of 'em.
9. Glenn Anderson - Need a big playoff goal? Better call on this #9.
Bonus 9 - Jozef Golonka, the great Slovak hockey star back in the 1950s and 1960s.
Did you know? Baseball greats Ted Williams, Roger Maris and Bill Mazeroski all wore #9.
One more bonus 9: Petri Skriko Vancouver Canucks and lot of more clubs in NHL. Petri appeared in 55 senior international games for Finland. 33 points.
Ronnie Francis. Wore the 9 in 1991 with the pens. I have that jersey.
I love Gordie...
Post a Comment