I was reviewing Chris McDonell's 2004 hit title Shooting from the Lip: Hockey's Best Quotes and Quips
It is a collection of now more than 400 of the best quotes and quips in all of hockey. Some are funny, some are odd, and some are cunningly wise. All are entertaining for readers of all ages.
This is a fun book, sure to have even non hockey fans chuckling. To give you a better idea, I provided a top ten list of quotes from Shooting from the Lip.
Top Ten Hockey Quotes:
10. "Guys, I don't want to tell you half-truths, unless they're completely accurate." - coach Alain Vigneault.
9. "Luc Robitaille is a great kid and good player, but ask anybody on the street and they'd probably think Luc Robitaille is a type of salad dressing." - L.A. Kings owner Bruce McNall on why he brought Wayne Gretzky to Hollywood in 1988.
8. "We only speak two languages here: English and profanity." - Penguins coach Kevin Constantine on the many languages spoken by his team.
7. "He's the kind of guy who will stab you in the back right to your face." - St. Louis Blues superstar Brett Hull on coach Mike Keenan.
6. "We have only one person to blame, and that's each other." - New York Rangers defenseman Barry Beck.
5. "I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body." - Saku Koivu.
4. "Getting cut in the face is a pain in the butt." - Calgary Flames' Theo Fleury.
3. "Wayne came over to the bench one day after seeing (Zdeno) Chara, and said 'That's why I'm quitting.'" - Rangers coach John Muckler, laughing about Wayne Gretzky's comment on Ottawa's 6'9" defenseman Zdeno Chara.
2. "Tell him he's Wayne Gretzky." - Oilers coach Ted Green, after Shaun Van Allen suffered a concussion and couldn't remember who he was.
1. "How would you like it if, at your job, every time you made the slightest mistake a little red light went on over your head and 18,000 people stood up and screamed at you?" - Hall of Fame Montreal Canadiens goalie Jacques Plante.
Post a Comment