Here's his suggested changes:
- Hart Trophy becomes Gordie Howe Trophy
- Art Ross Trophy becomes Wayne Gretzky Trophy
- Norris Trophy becomes Bobby Orr Trophy
- Vezina Trophy becomes Jacques Plante Trophy
- Calder Trophy becomes Mario Lemieux Trophy
- Lady Byng Trophy becomes Jean Beliveau Trophy
- Selke Trophy becomes Bob Gainey Trophy
- Conn Smythe Trophy becomes Patrick Roy Trophy
- Jack Adams Trophy becomes Scotty Bowman Trophy
- King Clancy Trophy becomes Saku Koivu Trophy, upon retirement
No offence to Dr. David Hart or Marie Evelyn Moreton (aka Lady Byng), but, when we vote for - and honour - the game’s best, shouldn’t we also recognize those who were the game’s best?
Admittedly you will not find one fan in attendance in tonight's games that can tell you who Frank Calder was or what James Norris did. But they all played important roles in NHL history. And, by the way, Clancy, Adams and Vezina are amongst the all time greats.
I do not like the idea of messing with history. Yeah, perhaps the people who the trophies are named after are long forgotten. But if we renamed these trophies, why shouldn't we rename the Stanley Cup. With the exception of Lady Byng, he did less for hockey than anyone else named on hockey silverware.
Renaming the Stanley Cup would be a silly idea. So would be renaming the other trophies.